The terms 'Brazilian Waxing' and 'Hollywood Waxing' are often used interchangeably to refer to hair removal in the genital area.
Specifically the term ‘Brazilian Waxing’ refers to partial genital hair removal, often leaving a strip of hair, whereas ‘Hollywood Waxing’ refers to total genital hair removal.
The term ‘Brazilian Waxing’ as used in this article refers to either total or partial genital hair removal.
Genital hair removal includes hair removal around the anus, perineum and vagina. Prices at beauty salons may range anywhere from $25 to $100 or more.
Many have all the hair removed. Some prefer to leave a tiny strip of closely-shorn hair in the front. It is now common for men as well as women to ask for Brazilian Waxing.
Tips When Visiting A Salon For Brazilian Waxing
- After underwear is removed a beautician asks the client to lie down and raise the legs. Talc may be sprinkled all over the bottom, anus and vagina areas. Hot wax is then spread over all these areas and then ripped off with cotton strips.
- A good way of finding a professional in Brazilian waxing is to ask through friends or at your local beauty parlor. It is better not to just take ‘pot luck’ by checking out the yellow pages.
- Aestheticians who do Brazilian waxing see every part of you and many feel much less embarrassed with a professional.
- Professionals will minimize the number of repeat applications over the same spot. Those not so skilled will go over and over the same area thus prolonging the pain or discomfort.
- An experienced aesthetician will pull off the wax in a clean, fast movement. A less experienced one may hesitate causing more pain.
- As the client is asked to spread their legs in various embarrassing positions, acting in a matter of fact way, treating it as normal, will help a person feel a little less self-conscious. Remember, that’s how the aesthetician views it.
- Check out the salon that does Brazilian waxing beforehand to make sure it is hygienic and that the aesthetician is licensed. The license is normally displayed.
- Check that fresh bed covering is used for each client and that the waxing supplies are sanitized and disposed of in a hygienic way after use.
- Make sure your appointment is at least one week after a period so the skin is not so sensitive.
- Make sure the hair is trimmed to about 1/8th of an inch. It should be free from oils and lotion to make hair removal easier.
- Don’t rush the appointment. Allow plenty of time, at least one hour.
- The pain can be reduced by using an antiseptic preparation in advance. Also, following up with a soothing lotion containing Aloe Vera or Calamine Lotion can reduce the itching and discomfort.
Why Is Brazilian Waxing So Popular?
Many just enjoy the clean feeling that comes with being hairless. Some who did it just to wear a bikini now keep it up because “it just feels great”!